Bismillah. One of the things that I’m trying to do to maintain a steadily increasing level of emaan is making a habit of praying my sunnah prayers regularly. Here’s why:
The Messenger of Allah said,
“Allah will build a house in Paradise for whoever is diligent in observing 12 sunnah rakaat (as follows):
4 rakaat before and 2 after the Dhuhr Prayer,
2 after the Maghrib,
2 after the Isha Prayer,
and 2 before the Fajr Prayer.”
[Reported by Tirmidhi and others]
We all know that if we miss a sunnah prayer, then there is no sin. But what do we lose as a result of missing sunnah prayers regularly?
- an easy way to earn a house in Jannah!
- a means of earning Allah’s [swt] love:
“My slave does not draw near to Me with anything I love more than what I have made obligatory on him. And my slave continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory actions (e.g. the sunnah prayers) until I love him.”
(click here for the complete hadith)
- a means of closeness to Rasool Allah [saws] in Paradise:
“I ask for your companionship in Paradise”, said Rabiaah ibn Kaab [ra]
“Is there anything else?”, said Rasool Allah [saws]
“That is all”, said Rabiaah
“Then help me with respect to yourself by multiplying your prostrations (i.e. increase your prayers)”, said the Beloved of Allah [saws]
(click here for complete hadith)
- a strong shield against shaitaan:
- the reason for establishing prayer is the remembrance of Allah [Surah Taha:14], and the best shield against shaitaan is the remembrance of Allah. Therefore, establishing prayer is a sheild against shaitaan.
Bottom line: if we don’t have a really, really good reason, then there is NO reason to miss the sunnah prayers! So let’s be diligent in observing the sunnah prayers, in sha Allah. Just look at all that we’re missing out on!
Related posts on how to get into Jannah:
Some issues regarding sunnah prayers:
- What to do if one misses the Sunnah of Fajr
- How to pray the 4 sunnah rakat of Dhuhr
- No sunnah prayers except Fajr while traveling!
- What to do if I’m praying sunnah and the iqamah is called?